» Stuffed Bell Peppers without Rice
Stuffed Bell Peppers without Rice
- 8 large green or red peppers, tops cut off, seeded and cored
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 lb lean ground turkey (already cooked)
- 2 eggs, beaten (I used liquid egg whites)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or more if you prefer)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 1/2 ounce salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- parmesan cheese (fresh grated or shredded) or mozzarella cheese, for topping (fresh grated or shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On stovetop in a medium skillet or saucepan, sauté onion, cilantro and garlic in olive oil until veggies are soft; remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add sauté veggie mixture to turkey mixture; mix well.
- Stuff peppers with turkey/veggie mix and place in an ungreased shallow casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa and tomato sauce; pour over peppers to cover.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese; cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned.