Healthier Gluten-Free Crockpot "Gumbo"
Modified from the Crockpot Gumbo recipe posted on Foodies TV's FB Page. I put Gumbo in quotations because my husband said "real" gumbo can't possibly be made in the crockpot. haha
- 3 tablespoons Namaste Gluten-free Perfect Flour Blend
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 pound Applegate Organic Andouille Sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced Hatch chili peppers (make sure you get a version that doesn't contain glutens)
- 1 tbl Garlic powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounce size) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounce size) frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked Texmati Brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Make your roux: In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown.
- Put the remaining ingredients EXCEPT shrimp, rice and 2 1/4 cups of water in a medium to large slow cooker. Add the roux mixture. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours.
- Cook your rice with the remaining 2 1/4 cups of water about 30 minutes prior to eating and add shrimp to gumbo mixture in crockpot; mix well.
- Once the rice is done, add your desired amount of rice to the gumbo. Cover; cook on low setting for additional 10 minutes. If you'd like to serve the rice separately under the gumbo, that's fine. I added ours so that I could control the amount of carbs my family was eating.
- I did this from memory, so I hope I don't forget anything. I should have written is all down! 🙂
Chrissy Bernal http://chrissybernal.com/