Chocolate Protein Non-Dairy “Frosty”
- 3 1/2 cups original almond milk, heated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Amaretto (optional—could also use a bit of honey)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 scoop of protein powder (the flavor you choose will be the predominant flavor)
- 2 tbls unsweetened cocoa (if you want it to be chocolate)
- Cinnamon to taste
- In a food processor (I actually used a Ninja), beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy (about two minutes); pour the hot almond milk into whipped egg yolk. Mix again thoroughly.
- Heat the mixture on a stove or microwave, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the custard thickens enough that it coats the back of a spoon. I microwaved it a minute at a time and stirred after each minute.
- Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir the custard for a minute so it does not overcook.
- Pour back into your mixer. Add the vanilla extract, Amaretto, Protein powder, cinnamon and cocoa. Mix.
- Put in the freezer for about an hour.
- Fill a large zip lock bag with ice; add 1/2 cup table salt
- Put the custard in a smaller zip lock bag. (Remove all the extra air.)
- Seal ice cream mixture bag well and place inside larger bag with ice/salt; seal well.
- Shake vigorously for about 8 min. until mixture becomes like a Frosty.
- I found it best to put a towel around the bags as I was sloshing them back and forth so my hands didn’t get so cold. The kids thought this was fun, so I let them take turns at “churning” the ice cream. Once you’ve gotten it to a consistency that you like, serve and enjoy!
Chrissy Bernal http://chrissybernal.com/